About Our Company
Myers Constructs, Inc. is an award winning design-to-build general contracting firm, specializing in custom residential
remodeling and restoration. Our two women owners, both with background in Fine Arts, combined with 35
years of real world construction experience, bring attention to detail and passion for our industry, to all of our
Our projects include whole house renovations, additions, historical restorations, kitchens, baths, outdoor spaces,
basement entertainment spaces, free standing buildings, outdoor spaces, as well as light commercial renovations
such as retail spaces, offices and light institutional spaces. Our geographic market is throughout the greater Philadelphia
area; Center City, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill, surrounding suburbs, the Main Line, Montgomery and Bucks
Counties, New Jersey.
Myers Constructs projects are sold and directed by the principals, who work with our clients to establish project
goals, directions, and design concepts. Our intimate and collaborative Design Development Process produces
projects uniquely tailored to the specific needs of our clients. Our design-to-build process results in complete design
drawings, selections, specifications construction docs, procurement lists, and construction site management
for all of our projects. The goal of our design-to-build process is a complete, beautiful, thoroughly developed
project to meet the needs of our clients on time and on budget. The owners direct a team approach and often invite
outside designers, decorators, architects, engineers, specialty vendors, and subs to sit at our teams’ table.
Design Assistant Position
The Design Assistant (DA) is an integral member of the Myers team, involved in all facets of the project. The DA
works directly for and with the Sales and Design Principal on projects from concept through finishes. The DA is expected
to get to know, understand and support the Myers Constructs design style and approach by studying company
marketing & brand, past projects, methods, and archived production binders.
The DA integrates the MC approach in creating drawings that show various layouts and design options and is included
in presenting these at our client meetings. The same drawings must be understood by the people on site
who build these projects. So the DA is expected to invest considerable energy learning to make their drawings
good tools for construction professionals.
The ideal DA candidate possesses strong collaboration skills; is proactive, curious and personable. The candidate
needs to contribute their good ideas without attachment, leaving their ego at the door. They must be flexible and
able to work with different personalities.
The DA should be visually oriented, organized, goal oriented, interested in design, remodeling, and innovation and
ready to bring fresh concepts to the team, not cookie cutter solutions. This is a great position for a person who
wants to learn HOW a project is managed and built once designed and is willing to get their hands dirty.
Duties of Position
- Participate in all aspects of site work for projects. Before: surveying, measuring, sketching, photographing; During:
Helping to set up site protection & materials, delivering product, supporting and explaining designs to construction
professionals, checking production work, documenting, and organizing findings. After: Documenting
project, creating submittals for contests.
- Create detailed sets of drawings for projects starting with site conditions, demolition plans, design options, on
through construction documents following a format and detailing already established by our firm.
- Product research, product schedules, sample collecting, and all stages of product procurement from ordering,
managing lead times, deliveries, and order checking.
- Create production binders for each job and update and maintain job site binder.
- Attend & participate in client design meetings including prep, set up, break down.
- Maintain and organize design team reference materials, samples, literature, design studio and studio equipment,
and occasionally do the same on job sites.
- Proficient in CAD, a 3d based program such as Vectorworks (VW), MAC office
Vectorworks based firm, you will be required to become proficient in VW within 3 months of being hired
- Sketch by hand for documentation, site survey work, and to convey ideas
- Knowledge of interior & architectural design principals, drawings, and standards
- Knowledge of residential remodeling, renovation, restoration, construction, building codes.
- Knowledge of building products & finishes such as cabinets, appliances,
plumbing fixtures, tile, counters, furnishings, lighting, etc.
- Ability to listen and write well, be a clear communicator, be organized & motivated, be able to use scheduling
systems as well as budgeting systems, be good at time management and meeting goals and deadlines
- Basic Photography skills, ability to frame a shot for documentation & communication
- Strong knowledge of office suite software: spreadsheet, text, presentation
- High School Diploma or Equivalent Required
- Degree or Work experience in Interior Design, Architecture, Preservation, Art, Graphic/Industrial Design, Construction
Management, or certs from NARI, NKBA, etc.
- Work experience required if you do not have a degree or certifications
- Students /Recent grads with qualifications will be considered and are welcome to apply
Other Job Requirements
- Maintain valid drivers license
- Car/Truck available for client/job site visits, meetings, supplier visits, etc.
- Smart phone with camera
- Comfortable in homes with pets
- Walking up and down stairs, bending, kneeling, lifting up to 35 pounds
- Willingness to participate in maintaining & cleaning job sites & studio
- Dress: office casual in studio & job site, casual business when interacting with clients and vendors.
- Submission to random drug testing may be required, to ensure that Myers Constructs Inc. remains a drug-free workplace.
- Pay: Hourly, starting rate based on experience
- Paid holidays & breaks; accrued benefits including paid time off & vacation
- Full time position, average 35 to 40 hours a week or more depending on work load
- Typical hours are weekdays during standard daytime hours 8-4/ 9-5
- Required: Occasional early morning, early evening or weekend meetings with notice
- Travel: Reimbursement for car/truck use – documentation and log submittal required
- Design team studio is located in a workshop space, located in Crane Arts Building in South Kensington Neighborhood
of Philadelphia, near Northern Liberties and Fishtown
Myers Constructs Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
Interested in applying? Send us a brief email message, introducing yourself and telling us why you’d like the job and how you believe you could contribute to the team, and attach your resume. Send it to info at myers constructs dot com.